The Second Death
A. Text: Revelation 20:10-15.
B. God's Word describes in some detail both Heaven and Hell!
C. This is definitely not a popular subject.
1. Most people really know very little about it.
2. And yet, most people will suffer the "second death!" (Matt. 7:13-14).
D. Hence, the need for a discussion of this subject ... people need to be warned.
E. In this lesson, we want to ask and answer 6 vital questions which naturally arise.
II. What Is The Second Death?
1. Physical="that separation (whether natural or violent) of the soul and the body by which the life on earth is ended" (Strong's) (see Jas. 2:26).
2. Spiritual=When a sinner is "dead in trespasses and sins" (Eph. 2:1; Isa. 59:1-2).
3. A Christian is said to be dead in the sense of being separated from sin (Col. 3:3; Rom. 6:2).
4. Jewish Christians were "dead to the law" (Rom. 7:4).
B. The "first death" is physical death.
1. There is resurrection from this death.
2. Both good and evil (John 5:28-29).
C. The "second death" is eternal separation from the presence of God.
1. 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9.
2. Cast into "lake of fire and brimstone" (text).
3. Separation between righteous and wicked (Matt. 25:46; Luke 16:26).
4. There is no resurrection from the second death! It is eternal!
III. When Will It Begin?
A. When Jesus comes back to earth from Heaven (2 Thess. 1:7-9).
B. After the resurrection of all the physical dead (Rev. 20:12-13).
C. Immediately after the final judgment (Matt. 25:46; Rev. 20:13-14).
IV. What Will It Be Like?
A. "No rest day or night" (Rev. 14:11).
B. "Tormented day and night forever and ever" (Rev. 20:10).
1. Torment="to vex with grievous pains (of body or mind); to be harassed, distressed" (Strong's).
2. Implies extreme anguish and pain (cf. Luke 16:23-25, 28).
C. "Outer darkness ... weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matt. 8:12).
1. Gnashing="used to denote extreme anguish and utter despair of men consigned to eternal punishment in hell" (Strong's).
2. Again, idea of intense pain and suffering is included.
D. "Everlasting fire" (Matt. 18:8; see also Mark 9:43-44).
E. Punishment (Matt. 25:46).
F. "Outer darkness" (Matt. 25:30).
G. "Shame and everlasting contempt" (Dan. 12:2).
1. Shame="reproach, scorn; taunt, scorn (upon enemy); reproach (resting upon condition of shame, disgrace); painful emotion excited by a consciousness of guilt" (Strong's).
2. Contempt="aversion, abhorrence" (Strong's).
H. Association with all ungodly people of all ages! (see text).
V. How Long Will It Last?
A. "Everlasting punishment" (Matt. 25:46).
1. Everlasting="without end, never to cease, everlasting" (Strong's).
2. Often translated "eternal."
B. "They will be tormented day and night forever and ever" (Rev. 20:10).
VI. Who Will Be There?
A. Some of all the "small and great" (Rev. 20:12).
B. All ungodly people, those who names are "not found written in the Book of Life" (Rev. 20:15).
C. Unfaithful disciples (Matt. 25:31-46).
D. Those who practice the "works of the flesh" (Gal. 5:19-21).
E. "Those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Thess. 1:7-9).
*Do you want to participate in the second death, and associate with all the ungodly of all ages, and suffer the terrible punishment described in these verses we have examined? If not, then consider the final question:
VII. Is There A Way To Escape The Second Death?
A. For the alien sinner ... obey the gospel!
1. Believe (Heb. 11:6; Jn. 8:24).
2. Confess (Rom. 10:10).
3. Repent (Acts 17:30; 2:38).
4. Be baptized (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Gal. 3:27).
B. For an unfaithful Christian ... repent and pray! (Acts 8:22; 1 John 1:9).
C. For the faithful Christian ... continue to live faithfully! (1 Thess. 5:21; Eph. 6:10-17; 1Cor. 15:58; 2 Pet. 3:18).
Return to the Sermon Outlines page