THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD
1. There is a great difference between the righteousness of God and the righteousness that is conceived in the mind of man.
2. Let's note the definition of righteousness:
A. Righteousness, basically, means justice. Other meanings are used as well, such as: upright, straightforwardness, rectitude. Still another word that I think should enter into the picture here is the word "right". Psa. 19:8; Hos. 14:9.
1. God is righteous and loves righteousness. Psa. 11:7; 119:137; 143:17.
2. Christ called His Father righteous. Jno. 17:25.
3. Christ is righteous. 1 Jno. 2:1.
4. God will judge the world with righteousness. Psa. 96:13; Acts 17:31.
5. All of the commandments of God are righteousness. Psa. 119:172.
6. We must seek the kingdom of God, and His righteousness. Matt. 6:33.
7. The righteousness of God is revealed in and obtained from the gospel. Rom. 1:16, 17.
8. The righteousness of God is obtained through faith. Rom. 3:21-23.
9. This faith, that brings about the righteousness of God, is an obedient faith. Rom. 4: 3; Jas. 2:20-24.
10. We are to be servants of God's righteousness. Rom. 6:18.
11. We are not to establish and follow our own righteousness. Rom. 10:3,4.
12. We become the righteousness of God in Christ. 2 Cor. 5:21.
13. The righteousness of God has no fellowship with iniquity. 2 Cor. 6:14.
14. Righteousness cannot come through the law of Moses. Gal. 2:21.
15. Paul said that he had not a righteousness of his own or of the law, but the righteousness of God. Phil. 3:9.
16. The wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. Jas. 1:20.
17. We are told to awake to righteousness and sin not. 1 Cor. 15:34.
18. Everyone that doeth righteousness is begotten of God. 1 Jno. 2:29.
19. Those that turn many to righteousness are as the stars. Dan. 12:3.
20. The scriptures instruct us in righteousness. 2 Tim. 3:16,17.
21. Except our righteousness exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees we cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. Matt. 5:20.
22. We must hunger and thirist after righteousness. Matt. 5:6.
1. Are you hungering and thirsting after righteousness today?
2. Today is the day that you have the opportunity to be filled.
A. Tomorrow there may be a famine in the land.
B. Not a famine of physical food, or of bread and meat, but a famine of the word of God. The righteousness of God. Amos 8:11-13.
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outline page