The 23rd Psalm - A New Look
I. Ps. 23 A Psalm of David.
Ps. 23:1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
II. Shepherd allusions
A. Identifying the shepherd Ps. 23:1
1. Dependence on the shepherd
2. Provision by the shepherd
B. Healing and direction Ps. 23:3
C. Confidence in the shepherd Ps. 23:4
1. Regardless of the situation
2. Nothing to fear
3. God is with us
4. His power is our assurance and comfort
D. Protect and deliver the sheep 1 Sam. 17:34-35
E. The Great Shepherd John 10:1-18
III. Hospitality allusions
A. A near sacred responsibility
1. Hosts responsibility to meet needs
a. Covenant of bread
b. Covenant of salt
2. Hosts responsibility to protect at any cost
3. Examples of the Hospitality principle in action
a. Abraham and three men. Gen. 18:1-8
b. Jael and Sisera - Judges 4:17-23
1. Sisera trusted the laws of hospitality to prevail.
c. Lot and the angels - Gen. 19:8
d. The Levite - Judges 19:1-3
1. Three days - Judges 19:4
2. Four days - Judges 19:5-7
3. The fifth day - Judges 19:8-10
e. Elisha and the great woman - 2 Kgs. 4:8-10
B. Psalms 23:5-6 The Host-Guest figure
1. Ps. 23:5
a. Thou preparest a table before me
1. Provision made for guest
b. In the presence of mine enemies:
1. Protection of guest
c. Thou anointest my head with oil
1. Welcomed and honored by host
d. My cup runneth over.
1. Extravagant care showered upon guest
2. Guest experiences great contentment
2. Ps. 23:6
a. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
1. Confidence and surety of blessings expressed
b. I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
1. Determination to reside with God forever
Is the Lord your shepherd?
Have you made the Lord your protector?
Return to the Sermon Outlines Page
Return to the Old Testament study of Psalms