"AM I IN THE PLACE OF GOD?"
Gen. 50:15-21; 2 Kgs. 5:1-8.
1. There have been those, down through the annals of time, who have tried to put themselves in the place of God:
2. Paul writes of such a one in: 2 Thes. 2:1-12.
3. Following this, were those who began to teach and to write creeds that were contrary to the Word of God. Such as the Nicene Creed of 150 A.D.
4. Both Jesus Christ and Paul, the apostle, frowned on such: Matt. 15:7-9; Gal. 1:6- 9.
5. Then, there were those that claimed to be in direct contact with God and were receiving regular revelations and were writing them down for future posterity.
A. Such ones as: the popes of Rome, Mohammed, Joseph Smith, Ellen G. White, Mary Baker Eddy, and present and former presidents of the Mormon Church.
1) These writings come in the form of Papal Bulls, The Koran, The Book of Mormon. etc.
6. So it remains today, as it has been down through time, people still want their teachers and preachers, in the religious realm, to put themselves in the place of God.
A. And in doing so, they are to tickle the ears of their hearers by bringing to them desired teaching. 2 Tim. 4:1-5.
I. SUCH TEACHING IS DESIRED IN MANY FIELDS OF ENDEAVOR:
A. On becoming a Christian.
1. Remove baptism -- Acts 2:38.
2. By faith only -- Jas. 2:24.
B. Worship in the church.
1. Use mechanical instruments of music -- Eph. 5:19; Col.3:16.
2. Have special music such as quartets, solos, choruses, choirs, etc.
3. Use women in the public leadership -- 1 Tim. 2:11,12.
C. Organization of the church -- Phil. 1:1.
1. Modify qualifications of elders -- 1 Tim. 3; Titus 1.
2. Modify oversight of elders -- 1 Pet. 5:2.
3. Use human institutions to do the work of the church.
4. Use sponsoring church arrangements.
D. In the work of the church.
1. Practice general benevolence.
2. Provide secular education.
3. Provide recreation and entertainment.
II. THERE ARE ALSO SUCH DESIRES WHEN IT COMES TO INDIVIDUALS:
A. Marriage, divorce and remarriage -- Matt. 19:3-9; 1 Cor. 7.
B. Social drinking -- Gal. 5:16-21.
C. Use of tobacco -- 1 Cor. 6:19,20.
D. Mixed bathing -- 1 Tim. 2:9,10.
E. Immodest dress in public -- 1 Pet. 3:1-6.
F. Dancing -- Gal. 5:19.
G. Missing services -- Heb. 10:25; Jas. 4:17.
H. Wearing a covering in worship -- 1 Cor. 11:1-16.
I. Participating in carnal warfare -- Jno. 18:36; Eph. 6:10-20; Rom. 13:1-7.
J. Engaging in politics -- Jno. 17:14-16.
1. Can I put myself in the place of God on any of these matters?
A. No. I cannot.
2. I can only say what God has already said and leave it at that. 1 Pet. 4:11.
3. There is always a safe course to follow and we must not presume anything.
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page