"IT IS OUR AIM".
Let us make it our aim, our purpose, our endeavor, to strive after the following:
1. To have no other creed, no other foundation, than the Christ. Matt. 16:16; 1 Cor. 3:10-15.
2. To follow the Bible only. 1 Pet. 4:11; 2 Tim. 4:2; 3:16,17.
3. To follow the New Testament pattern of organization: Christ as the only Head, Col. 1:18. Elders as overseers in the local congregation, Acts 20;28. Deacons as special servants in the local body, Phil. 1;1; 1 Pet. 5:2.
4. To be "Christians" only, with no sectarian or denominational party name, 1 Pet. 4: 16.
5. To rely upon the gospel as God's drawing power and God's saving power, Jno. 6: 44,45; Rom. 1:16,17; 1 Cor. 15:1-4; Acts 20:32.
6. To live in harmony with the principles of truth (morals, ethics, standards of behavior etc.) as set forth by our Lord, Jas. 1:27; Phil. 1:27; Rom. 12:1,2; Titus 2:11-14.
7. To observe the principles revealed in the Law of our Lord to regulate us in our giving: Willingness, 2 Cor. 8:12; Liberally, Rom. 12:8; Periodically--each Lord's Day, 1 cor. 16:1,2; As prospered, 1 Cor. 16:2.
8. To follow the Lord's pattern for Unity, recognizing: One Body, One Spirit, One Hope, One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism, One God and Father, Eph. 4:4-6.
9. To be diligent servants of our Lord, striving to serve the good of man and the glory of our Father, Jno. 15:8; Gal. 6:10; Matt. 5:13-16.
10. To worship only in those ways for which we may give a "thus saith the Lord", Jno. 4:24; Col. 3:17, Singing, Col. 3:16; Praying, Acts 2:42; Giving, 1 Cor. 16:2 Communion, Acts 20:7; Teaching, Acts 2:42; Beyond these acts we find no authority.
11. To strive toward the attaining of that for which Jesus prayed by pleading with all men to be "one" in Christ, Jno. 17:20,21.
12. To help all men see that they should be in the Lord's church, since He is it Savior Eph. 5:23 and its Redeemer, Titus 2:14, Having purchased it with His own blood. Acts 20;28.
13. To hold before a lost world the plan given by our Lord for the salvation of lost souls in and through Him: Faith in Him, Jno. 8:24; Repentance, Lk. 13:3; Confession of faith in Him, Matt. 10:32, Rom. 10:9,10; Baptism for the forgiveness of sins, Acts 2:38.
14. To help men know the truth, it alone can free us from sin, Jno. 8:32; 17:17; 1:17.
15. To endure faithfully to the end, Matt. 10:22; 2 Tim. 4:7,8; Rev. 2:10.
Let us make it our aim to serve the Lord faithfully in this life that we might be able to go home to be with Him in glory.
By Jim Sasser based on an article by Ernest Finley written in 1973.
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Return to What is the church of Christ