It Is Good For Us To Be Here
Matthew 17:1-9 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart, 2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. 3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him. 4 Then answered Peter, and said unto Jesus, Lord, it is good for us to be here: if thou wilt, let us make here three tabernacles; one for thee, and one for Moses, and one for Elias. 5 While he yet spake, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them: and behold a voice out of the cloud, which said, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased; hear ye him. 6 And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid. 7 And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. 8 And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only. 9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them, saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from the dead.
1) Call attention to the fourth verse--
These words are very appropiate on this occasion.
a) Our time shall be spent in gathering from the Holy scriptures--The reasons why it is good for us to be here in this Gospel assembly.
I) It is good for us to be here because we are obeying God when we come.
Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
1) This passage applies to regular attendance on the Lord's day--and also to all meetings that the congregation (elders) specify.
2) Now the importance of obeying God--Is going to be the substance of our lesson--This is one of the most needed lessons of today--As well as passed ages.
a) All down through ages of time--prophets of God have emphasized this lesson--As much--If not more than any other teaching. Peter told the high priest. "We ought to obey God rather than men" Acts 5:29.
b) Looking back through the eye of faith, we can hear Moses as he says to his people.
Deuteronomy 11:26-28 Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse; 27 A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day: 28 And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.
c) As we come closer to us we see Joshua say to his people;
Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
d) Then there was Solomon who said;
Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
e) And besides all these statements we find Jesus and His disciples as they taught the importance of obedience to the God of heaven.
Matthew 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
f) And the last apostle who wrote in God's book said;
Revelation 22:14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
II) It is good for us to be here because we are honoring the Bible.
1) We honor and respect the Bible because it is divine in it's authorship--No book inspired but the Bible.
2) The Bible was not written by men alone--Men tell all good--Bible tells good and bad.
3) Sensible men--upon close examination of the Bible came to same conclusion as Peter.
2 Peter 1:20-21 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
4) We respect and honor the Bible because it is God's last and only revelation to us--and our respect for it's truths is increased when we remember the wonderful good it has done the world over.
5) The lives of men and nations have been made or marred by this inspired message from God to man.
6) This great book that Daniel Webster placed beneath his head while dying--is the book that each of us should carry in our hands and hearts while living.
III) It is good for us to be here because we are lifting up Christ, Who is the greatest Character of the Bible.
1) One of the important statements made by Jesus while he was on earth.
John 12:32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
2) We wish to pause right here for a little while and lift up Jesus as the only begotten Son of God--We wish to lift Him up as the worlds greatest conquorer--over sickness--disease--the elements--and finally death.
3) I am sure that you are happy to hear our Savior exalted as the one and only one who could and did make it possible for our salvation for time and eternity.
4) Those overtaken by sin are hopeless and helpless without Jesus--For while we were yet sinners.
5) Paul gave a concise exam of the Gospel of Christ
1 Corinthians 15:1-4 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
6) We too should be moved to tears that our Savior has died for us--But we also find ourselves rejoicing that we have been saved by the gospel plan.
7) By obedience to the gospel of Christ, we are not only saved--But we show our gratitude--Our names are inscribed, as it were, beneath the inscription "Christ died for us".
IV) It is good for us to be here because we are exalting the church of Christ.
1) My fellow travelers to eternity--I wish to make the following statement with all authority in heaven and earth behind it--THE CHURCH OF CHRIST IS GOD'S MOST IMPORTANT INSTITUTION--Christ gave His life for the church.
Ephesians 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
2) Christ shed His blood for the church.
Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which He hath purchased with His own blood.
a) Christ gave His life and shed His blood that the church might be possible.
3) Now, because the church of Christ is the only blood bought and soul saving institution--Let not one of us ever be heard to dishonor God and ourselves by saying--the church is not important--or salvation depends upon membership in the church of Christ. (Eph 4:4-6)
4) In the church, we have salvation
Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
V) It is good for us to be here because we are preaching the Gospel of Christ.
1) The gospel of Christ is the grandest message that ever fell upon the listening ears of immortal men and women--Meaning of gospel--good news--glad tidings--Never on earth before or since--have the sons and daughters of men heard such a wonderous and true story.
a) Facts of Gospel are Death--Burial--Resurrection---Now, no one of us would rejoice that Christ or any one else has died--But we rejoice because of Christ's resurrection after burial.
b) After His resurrection--He sent His disciples out under the great commission.
Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
c) The apostles went forth preaching this gospel to the entire world with a wonderful success--People in those days were required to Hear--Believe--Repent--Confess--Be Baptized.
d) We find some of the things they were to do after becoming christians
Titus 2:11 For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
VI) It is good for us to be here because we are encouraging people to obey the gospel.
1) Belief in the gospel only is not enough
Hebrews 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
2) We cannot afford to listen to the man, even though he is a great preacher and attended great schools of learning--who tells us--belief is all that is necessary for salvation.
3) A man ought to be ashamed of himself that will teach such false doctrine--The Bible is just too clear on this subject--Yet there are men who deny this by saying all that is necessary for salvation is belief only.
a) Salvation is on the other side of obedience to the gospel.
4) When we are encouraging others to obey gospel--we are encouraging them to become members of the only institution that can carry them to heaven.
5) After our obedience we must grow (read 2 Pet 1:5-11)
VII) Finally, It is good for us to be here because we are encouraging each other to prepare to live in heaven.
John 14:1-3 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Fathers house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
INVITATION--I know that every person under the sound of my voice wants to go to heaven when you die.--Rest assured--If we get there, it will be through obedience.
then faithfulness until death Rev 2:10.
Return to the Sermon Outlines page