SOME IMPOSSIBLE THINGS
1. Let us focus our attention on some impossible things relative to our salvation from sin.
2. If any one of these things that we mention are lacking, salvation is impossible.
3. It is impossible to be saved:
I. WITHOUT CHRIST.
A. Paul wrote that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners.
1 Tim. 1:15.
1. The Hebrew writer says that Jesus is able to save to the uttermost. Heb. 7:25.
2. Peter said: "Neither is there salvation in any other; For there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved". Acts 4:12.
B. However, Jesus saves conditionally, on His own terms.
1. He is the author of eternal salvation unto all that obey Him. Heb. 5:8,9.
II. WITHOUT THE GOSPEL.
A. We are told that the gospel is the power of God unto salvation. Rom. 1:16,17.
1. Paul told the Corinthians that they would be saved by the gospel that he had preached unto them. 1 Cor. 15:2.
a. This also true for you and me.
2. This is why Jesus said: "Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature." Mk. 16:15,16.
3. Paul tells us that those who do not obey the gospel will be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord. 2 Thes. 1:7-9.
B. The gospel is described as the gospel of God, Rom. 1:11, of Christ, 1:16, of grace Acts 20:24, of peace, Eph. 6:16, of salvation, 1:13, of truth, Gal. 2:5, and of hope Col. 1:25.
1. Indeed, it is a glorious gospel. 2 Cor. 4:4.
III. OUTSIDE OF THE CHURCH.
A. All of the saved are living stones that make up the church. 1 Pet. 2:5.
1. Luke tells us that the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. Acts 2:47.
B. The Bible teaches us that Jesus is the Savior of the body. Eph. 5:23.
1. The body is the church. Col. 1:16.
C. We are told that Christ purchased the church with His own blood. Acts 20:28.
1. Only the church is built upon the sure foundation. Matt. 16:18.
IV. WITHOUT THE BLOOD OF CHRIST.
A. The Hebrew writer tells us that without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. Heb. 9:22.
1. But not just any blood. Heb. 10:4.
B. Christ tells us that His blood is the blood of the covenant shed for the remission of sins. Matt. 26:28.
1. Paul wrote that in Christ we have redemption through His blood, even the forgiveness of sins. Col. 1:14.
C. In order to reach the saving blood alien sinners must be baptized into Christ. Rom. 6:3,4.
1. When one does that he is then raised to walk in newness of life.
V. WITHOUT HUMAN PARTICIPATION.
A. Some people teach that there is nothing a person can do to save himself, that God has done or will do it all.
1. If that be the case, why did Peter give the answer he did when asked what must be done? Acts 2:37-40.
B. The grace of God provides the necessary information for one to be saved, but one must do as he is told. Titus 2:11-14.
1. If one is an alien sinner he must HEAR THE WORD, Rom. 10:17. BELIEVE IN CHRIST AND HIS WORD, Heb. 11:6. REPENT OF HIS SINS, Lk. 13:3. CONFESS HIS FAITH IN CHRIST, Rom. 10:9,10. BE BAPTIZED BY A BURIAL IN WATER FOR THE REMISSION OF HIS SINS, Acts 22:16.
1. Yes, it is impossible for one to be saved if any of these elements are left out of his life.
2. But, it is also an impossibility for one who has obeyed the first principles of the oracles of God, to be saved if he does not live soberly, righteously, and godly.
3. No, just being baptized doesn't guarantee one's eternal salvation. One must continue steadfastly in the apostle's doctrine, in fellowship, the breaking of bread, and prayers. Acts 2:42.
By Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page