Why should a person be a member of the church of Christ? I wish to offer several reasons. The Scriptures are found at the end of each reason. Please take full advantage of the "Reason" given by taking your Bible and looking up the references carefully.
1. Because is was founded by the Scriptural builder - Christ. (Matthew 16:18)
2. Because it was founded on the Scriptural foundation. (Matthew 16:18; I Corinthians 3:11; Ephesians 2:20)
3. Because it was founded at the Scriptural place - Jerusalem. (Isaiah 2:2-3; Luke 24:46-49; Acts 2)
4. Because it was founded at the Scriptural time - Pentecost following the resurrection of Christ. (Acts 2, "church" is used in the present tense.)
5. Because it is Scriptural in name. (Matthew 16:18; Romans 16:16)
6. Because it is Scriptural in organization. (Philippians 1:1)
7. Because it has the Bible as its only creed. (II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:3)
8. Because it is undenominational. (John 17:20-21)
9. Because it teaches and administers Scriptural baptism. f(Matthew 28:18-19; John 3:23; Romans 6:4) - It is immersion. (Acts 8:36-39)
10. Because it gives Scriptural answers to the question, "What must I do to be saved?" (Acts 2:38; Mark 16:16; Acts 22:16)
11. Because of its Scriptural teaching and observance of the Lord's Supper. (I Corinthians 11:23-25; Acts 20:7; Acts 2:42)
12. Because it has Scriptural music in worship. (Ephesians 5:19; Colossians 3:16)
13. Because salvation is in Christ's church. (Acts 20:28; Ephesians 5:23; Colossians
1:18; Acts 2:47)
Friends, why not obey the simple Gospel of Christ today? Sins condemn one's soul eternally - but God has given His Son, making it possible for sin to be removed through obedience to the Son's will for mankind today. But all is in vain unless one obeys!
There are many "religions" - it is confusing until one can objectively view the Bible. Upon looking at the Old Testament and seeing the Kingdom (church) in prophecy; the Messiah would come, and the details given that man could identify Him; and then in the life of Christ, the Son actually stating some were hearing His voice that would not taste death until the Kingdom (church) came with power (Mark 9:1). Then Acts 2 records for us some of the events that took place on the day of Pentecost, the time when the Lord's church began.
We can be added to that same church today - the one that Christ said He would build (Matthew 16:18); the one that is found within the pages of the inspired Bible. By doing today what they did then - we can become today what they became then - just Christians!
If we can assist you in your obedience to Christ, please allow us to do so.
By Paul Sain
Return to the What Is The Church of Christ index page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /