WHY DO YOU GOSSIP?
What Is Gossip?
A) It is not talking about another who is not present (I Cor. 1:11; 5:1 & II Thess. 3:11)
B) It is not "telling a pack of lies" about someone. Gossip can be rumors or truthful at times.
C) Bible: "Whisperings" - II Cor. 12:20 "Backbitings" - II Cor. 12:20 * We are to not speak evil of a brother - James 4:11
D) It may involve:
1. Breaking confidence - Prov. 11:3
2. Speaking rumors as fact
3. Telling the truth or a lie with the intention something other than good of the one spoken about.
II) Gossip Is Sin! (Lev. 19:16 & Rom. 1:29,30)
* It is a three-fold poison - The teller, listener and subject
* Proverbs 26:17-28
* The listener should frown on it and turn away - Prov. 4:24
III) Why Do You Gossip?
1. Idleness - I Tim. 5:13
2. Absence of love - I Cor. 13; Prov. 24:17,18
3. Pride - Desire to elevate self through degrading others
4. To separate friends - Prov. 16:28; 17:9
5. To receive glory to self for being first to inform others about something
6. Carnality (not being spiritually minded) I Cor. I Cor. 3:3
7. Lack of wisdom - inability to talk about anything higher.
* Remember the golden rule. Would you want this said about you?
* Remember your attitudes, motives are so critical in determining whether it is gossip.
* Ask yourself:
--If doubt anywhere...don't say it!
Return to the Sermon Outlines page