1. Attitude means: Our feeling toward things. Our disposition;our actions and our reactions toward the problems of life.
2. Attitude is important for it controls our living, fixes our character and determines our destiny. We must not let things of this life such as: Poor health. Old age. Poverty. Or family troubles to cause us to form the wrong attitude.
A. So many times, people have family problems and take it out on the Lord.
3. We should let the word of God be our guide in this as in all other things.
4. We must form the proper attitude toward things religious.
I. WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD THE TRUTH?
A. The truth is what God says on any subject. Jno. 17:17.
1. Not part of what He says on a few things. 2 Tim. 3:16,17.
2. But all of what He says on all subjects. Psas. 119:160.
B. Do we love the truth? 2 Thes. 2:10.
C. Do we love to hear it taught plainly? Jno. 10:24.
D. Do we realize the value of the truth/ Jno. 8:31-36.
E. Do we wish others to hear the truth plainly and understand it? Jno. 5:25; Acts 8:1-6; Isa. 55.
1. Some caution the preacher about plain words because they have friends present. Mk. 6:1-6; 1 Pet. 2:8.
F. Are we ashamed of the truth? Rom. 1:16,17; Mk. 8:36.
G. Are we willing to teach the truth to others? Matt. 28:18-20.
H. Are we willing to live the truth? Many people live a lie. Matt. 5:13-16.
I. Are we willing to buy the truth and sell it not? Prov. 23:23.
II.WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD THOSE WHO PREACH THE TRUTH?
A. Would we persecute them as the Jews did Paul and Stephen? Acts 7:54-59; 2 Cor. 11:24,25.
1. By slander and ridicule or even bodily injury? Acts 16:19,20
2. or by boycotting the services, and influencing others to do the same?
B. Do we glory in preachers? 1 Cor. 1:12,13; 3:21.
C. Some attend services only if a favorite preacher is to speak.
D. Preachers are to be esteemed for their work's sake. Rom. 10:15.
E. Do we try to get preachers that will tickle our itching ears? 2 Tim. 4:1-5.
III. WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD ERROR?
A. Do we tolerate it to keep peace and harmony in the congregation?
B. Do we disregard it thinking it will go away/ Jer. 6:14.
C. Do we encourage it by adding fuel to the flame? Prov. 26:20-28..
D. Do we hate it? David said he hated every false way. Psa. 119:104.
E. Do we stand against it? Acts 15:2; Jude 3
IV. WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD THOSE THAT TEACH SUCH ERROR?
A. Do we defend their teaching because we love the teacher?
1. They may be our friends or relatives, pious men. Gal. 2:11-21.
B. Do we in any way encourage or give them aid in their teaching of error? 2 Jno. 9-11.
C. Do we give place to their teaching? Gal. 2:4,5.
D. Do we try to save them from their error? 2 Tim. 2:24-26; Jude 17-23.
E. Do we withdraw ourself from those that will not change? Titus 3:10,11; rom. 16:17,18.
V. WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD SIN AND EVIL?
A. Do we love sin and the world? 1 Jno. 2:15-17.
B. Do we abhor evil and cleave to that which is good? Rom. 12:9.
C. Do we shun the very appearance of evil? 1 Thes. 5:22; Jas. 4:4; Rom. 12:1,2; 2 Cor. 6:14-18; 7:1.
VI. WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD THE WORK OF THE CHURCH?
A. Do we want to let someone else do it? Titus 3:1; Jas. 4:17.
B. Do we want to do just as little as we can? Matt. 25:14-30.
C. Give just as little as we can? 2 Cor. 9:6-8.
D. Are we willing to do as much as lieth in us to do? Rom. 1:15.
VII. WHAT IS OUR ATTITUDE TOWARD WORSHIP?
A. Are we careless and indifferent? prov. 10:4; 18:9.
B. Are we noisy, disorderly and irreverent in God's presence?
C. Do we attend just to miss going to hell or do we truly love to be with God's people?
D. Are we glad when they say come let us go up to the assembly? Psa. 122:1.
E. Is our worship in spirit and truth/ Jno. 4:23,24.
F. Are we stedfast in our worship? Heb. 10:25; Acts 2:42; 1 Cor. 15:58.
1. Our attitude in these matters will determine our eternal destiny.
2. Why not have the right attitude toward God and obey Him today?
by Jim Sasser
Return to the Sermon Outlines page