• Being More Like Jesus
• A Grand Goal To Be Sure.
• Some Think “Too Grand”,
• But It Is Possible.
• The scriptures urge us to be more like Christ in our everyday living.
• While we may consider such to be a lofty goal, and somewhat unattainable,
we still know that we must try.
• We cannot give up because the task is so daunting.
• So we want to look at some things that will help us become more like Jesus.
• Putting Our Mind Where Jesus Set His
• Philippians 2:5 “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also
in Christ Jesus,”.
• Paul had just spoken in verses 1-4 about seeking the best things and treating
others in an excellent manner, then explains this is the attitude of Christ.
• Proverbs 23:7, “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.”
• All of our actions result from the thoughts that we have.
• Learning All We Can About Christ
• We need to be thoroughly indoctrinated with the teaching of God so that
we are properly guided and then we are better able to do what He would have us
• JESUS PROVIDES THE PERFECT EXAMPLE of being properly guided by God.
• John 5:19 : “Then Jesus answered and said to them, ‘Most assuredly,
I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do;
for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.’”
• Follow The Example Of Christ
• John 13:15 Jesus said: “For I have given you an example, that you
should do as I have done to you.”
• Jesus provides us with many examples of how we should live.
• In this particular instance, Jesus provides an example which most of society
chooses to ignore.
• Also, many in the church fail to follow this example.
• Jesus made the statement in John 13:15 in the context of serving others.
• If more members of the church had a servant’s mentality, more members
of the church would be more Christ-like.
• If more members of the church has a servant’s mentality, the church
might have a greater positive impact upon society.
• Live Like Jesus Lived
• 1 John 2:6: “He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to
walk just as He walked.”
• 1 Peter 2:21: “For to this you were called, because Christ also
suffered for us, leaving us an example, that you should follow His steps:”
• Matthew 11:29: “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am
gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
• Do any of us really think we can have a positive impact upon society when
we fail to walk as Jesus walked?
• Consider the positive impact upon society if all Christians did as Christ
• Treated others the way they themselves wanted to be treated.
• Maintained honesty in all of their dealings with others.
• Cared enough about others to teach them about Christ.
• Attempted to serve others at every opportunity.
• Spoke out against sin in all of its various forms.
• Showed compassion for the less fortunate.
• Spoke up for the weak and downtrodden.
• Prayed for others, including adversaries.
• Loved others in the agape sense.
• Spoke out against injustices.
• Sacrificed for others.
• Loved God with heart, soul, and mind.
• The Ultimate Goal: Bring Glory To God
• Matthew 5:16, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may
see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”
• 1 Peter 4:11: Whoever speaks, let him speak, as it w3ere, the utterances
of God; whoever serves, let him do so as by the strength which God supplies; so
that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belongs
the glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
• We may deceive others as to our thoughts and actions but we will never
• As we attempt to have a positive influence upon society, our efforts are
much more likely to be successful if our underlying motive is to bring glory to
God rather than ourselves.
• As we seek to make positive contributions to society, we need to try to
ensure that we have the mind of Christ.
• We can only do that if we study and learn as much as we can about Christ
• We can look to His example and live like He lived to the best of our ability.
• All this for the purpose of bringing glory to God.
• Are you preparing yourself to be like Jesus?
By Carey Scott based on an article by Owen B. Moseley
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me