JESUS WILL GIVE PEACE TO THOSE THAT OBEY HIM.
Jno. 14:27; 16:33.
1. Peace is one of the sweetest words in the English language.
A. To give you some idea of this, note these synonyms of the word peace, Quiet, Tranquility, Calm, Repose, Pacification, Concord, and Harmony.
2. Peace means so much when it is fully understood.
3. When we make peace with God, and are at peace in righteous living, it brings joy and happiness here and eternal life in heaven.
A. Just as there are synonyms of words, there are also antonyms, the opposites of given words.
B. With regard to the word peace, some antonyms are: Noise, Disturbance, Tumult, Agitation, Hostility, Disorder, War, Discord, Variance, and Strife.
4. Therefore, we ought to seek peace and pursue it. 1 Pet. 3:10-12.
I. THIS PEACE IS THREE-FOLD IN NATURE:
A. Peace with God. Rom. 5:1.
B. Peace among ourselves as Christians and with ourself as an individual. 1 Thes. 5:13; Mk. 9:50; Rom. 14: 19.
C. Peace with all men if possible. Rom. 12:18; Heb. 12:14.
II. THE AGENTS OF THIS PEACE ARE:
A. God, the God of peace. 1 Cor. 14:33; Rom. 16:20.
B. Christ, the Prince of Peace. Isa. 9:6.
1. The angels sang: "Peace on earth and good will among men", Lk. 2:14.
2. In Christ all may have peace. Jno. 16:33.
C. Gospel of Christ, is Gospel of Peace. Acts 10:36; Rom. 10:15.
D. Christ's Kingdom, is Kingdom of Peace. Rom. 14:17.
E. Jesus is King of Peace. 1 Tim. 1:17; 6:15.
F. The citizens of the Kingdom of Peace are to be Peace Makers. Mt. 5:9.
III. THIS PEACE THAT JESUS GIVES US IS:
A. "Not as the world giveth" Jno. 14:27.
1. It is superior to all worldly gifts and peace.
a. Some think they have peace when they don't, Jer. 6:14.
2. It cannot be given by the smiles of man, nor taken away by his frowns.
a. This reminds me of an old song: "Sweet Alice Ben Bolt". It says: "She wept with delight when he gave her a smile, and trembled with fear at his frown."
3. The peace from Jesus passeth all worldly understanding. Phil. 4:7.
4. This peace enriches the soul for both time and eternity.
5. Worldly gifts and praise that bring peace to man are limited to the body and time.
6. The world gives deceitful vanities that will cheat us.
7. Jesus gives true blessings that will never fail.
B. Peace is that gift of Christ that can comfort the broken hearted.
C. It is:
1. The inward security of the soul, based upon reconciliation with God.
a. This is not necessarilly reconciliation with all men. Mt. 10:34-39.
2. The assurance that God is pleased with us, though the whole world may be displeased.
3. It is the joy of knowing that God is for us, even if all else is against us. Rom. 8:31.
4. It is that which gives calmness within while troubles rage without.
a. It is our bridge over troubled waters.
IV. THE RESULTS OF THIS PEACE:
A. It enabled:
1. Peter to calmly and boldly preach Jesus, though they were accused of being drunk. Acts 2.
2. Peter and John to continue to preach Jesus, though forbidden and threatened by the counsel. Acts 4
3. Stephen to condemn sin, and die calmly as the result. Acts 6 and 7.
4. Paul to stand before kings, and rulers, even in view of death, and preach Christ and Him crucified.
B. It will also enable us:
1. To stand fast in the face of all opposition. 1 Cor. 15:58.
2. To hold forth the word of life without murmuring. Phil. 2:12-16.
V. JESUS WILL GIVE THIS PEACE TO ALL WHO OBEY HIM::
A. To both Jews and Gentiles. Eph. 2:14-18; Col. 1:19-23.
B. We must overcome the world as Jesus overcame the world. Jno. 16:33; 1 Jno. 5:4,5.
1. In the world there is tribulation.
2. Christ lived in the world and overcame it. Mt. 4:1-12; Heb. 4:15.
C. The world offered Him much:
1. Satan offered Him power and glory.
2. People tried to make Him king. Jno. 6:15.
3. Yet He put His enemies to shame.
4. He overcame evils and arose triumphantly.
D. The world offers us much:
1. We can overcome by following Christ's example. 1 Pet. 2:21,22.
2. We can have peace with our conscience, if we obey the Lord. 1 Pet. 3:21.
3. To be a peace with God is to please Him. Lk. 2:14.
4. Obey God in all things and His peace will rule your hearts. Col. 3:15-17.
a. We can have unity in peace. Eph. 4:1-3.
5. Without obediece there is no peace. Jer. 6:13,14.
6. ButGod will keep those in peace who keep their minds upon Him. Isa. 26:3,4.
a. Yes, let us "Trust and Obey, for there is no other way, to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey"..
1. Can you truthfully say that you are at peace now?
2. If you are not a Christian, then you do not have lasting peace.
3. Why not make peace with God now?
Return to the Sermon Outlines Page