• Finding The Truth
• Is difficult for so many because they look in the wrong place.
• There are many false doctrines concerning what the bible does not say
that effect millions of souls based on the misinterpretation of sometimes just
a few passages.
• When we approach the study of God's word we should do so with an attitude
to examine the scriptures, drawing conclusions based upon what the scriptures
teach, not upon what we already believe.
• We can never discover God’s truths if we are studying with the attitude
of trying prove what we already believe.
• While your beliefs may be correct, do not read the scriptures trying to
prove you are correct.
• Rather, read the scriptures and discover God’s truths.
• Then determine if what you learned from the text is the same as your beliefs.
• Such an attitude will either strengthen your beliefs or cause you to change
a previously held belief.
• We're either seeking truth or we're not!
• Finding Truth
• “Ye shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free”.
• To begin to find the truth, we must go to the right source.
• Psalm 119:160 “The entirety of your word is truth.
• John 17:17 “sanctify them by your truth, Thy word is truth”.
• God’s word is truth.
• All of God’s word is truth.
• If any part of God’s truth is false or wrong, we must demand that
all of it is false and wrong.
• We cannot pick and choose which parts we will abide by and which parts
we will ignore.
• Man does this quite frequently with his doctrines and precepts.
• Means that we accept it as it is offered.
• 1 Thessalonians 1:13 ”And for this reason we also constantly thank
God that when you received from us the word of God’s message, you accepted
it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also
performs its work in you who believe”.
• Means we accept it no matter how we feel about what was said.
• Jeremiah 42:5-6 “Then they said to Jeremiah, ‘May the LORD
be a true and faithful witness against us, if we do not act in accordance with
the whole message with which the LORD your God will send you to us. Whether it
is pleasant or unpleasant, we will listen to the voice of the LORD our God to
whom we are sending you, in order that it may go well with us when we listen to
the voice of the Lord our God’.”
• Means we accept it without compromise.
• 2 Timothy 2:15 “Be diligent to present yourself approved to God
as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of
• 1 Thessalonians 2:1-12
• That which can purify our souls.
• 1 Peter 1:22 “Since you have in obedience to the truth purified
your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from
• Which is the foundation of the church
• 1 Timothy 3;15 “but in case I am delayed, I write so that you may
know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church
of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth”.
• Find it where it is.
• God’s word.
• John 14:6 “Jesus said to him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and
the life, no one comes to the Father, but through Me”.
• Upon finding the truth, we must own it as our most prized possession.
• Proverbs 23:23 “Buy the truth, and sell it not…”
• Christ must become our life.
• Colossians 3:4 “When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then
you also will be revealed with Him in glory”.
• Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no
longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the
flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me, and delivered Himself up
• We must find the truth where God put it.
• His word through Christ.
• We must accept it without compromise.
• We must lay hold of it and live by it.
• We must keep the truth.
By Carey Scott
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me