CAN THE LORD DEPEND ON YOU?
1. CAN ---means being able -- upon your part, -- is the Lord able to depend upon you?
2. THE LORD -- means the Creator and Sustainer of the universe.
3. DEPEND --means to trust in and rely upon.
4. YOU -- means a person as an individual or it can mean a group.
I. THE BIBLE IS FULL OF PASSAGES THAT TELL US TO DEPEND UPON THE LORD AND TO PUT OUR TRUST IN HIM. Psa. 55:22; 1 Pet. 5: 6,7.
II. SMALL CHILDREN AND ELDERLY, INVALID PEOPLE DEPEND UPON OTHERS TO HELP THEM. 1 Tim. 5:4-8.
A. The Internal Revenue Service allows us to deduct so much from our taxes for dependents.
B. We depend upon our fellowmen in many fields for many things.
III. BUT DO WE REALIZE THAT MAN IS THE AGENCY THROUGH WHICH THE LORD DOES HIS WORK IN RELIGION UPON THE EARTH?
A. Many believe and teach that in matters religous the Lord does all the work necessary and no dependence is placed in man at all.
B. But the Lord has told man to go out and preach the gospel, baptizing believers for the remission of sins.
C. He has also told believers to be baptized.
D. Since this is true, can we truthfully say the Lord can depend upon us to do these things?
IV. WE HAVE A LIST THAT WE FIND IN THE BIBLE OF PEOPLE THAT GOD COULD DEPEND UPON:
A. Such as: Enoch -- Abel -- Job -- Noah -- Abraham -- Moses -- Joshua -- Gideon -- Samuel -- David --Peter Paul -- Timothy and many others.
B. The Lord had work to be done upon the earth and He could depend upon these people to do it.
1. There are apostles, prophets, preachers, elders, etc. that the Lord has depended upon down through the ages. Eph. 4:11-16.
V. NOW, CAN THE LORD DEPEND UPON YOU TODAY TO FULFILL HIS TRUST IN YOU?
A. SINNER FRIEND, one that has never named the name of Christ, one who has not been baptized into Christ for the remission of past sins, can He depend upon you to obey the first principles of the oracles of God that you might become a Christian?
1. You can obey these principles by: Hearing the Word of God, Rom. 10:17. Believing the Word and in God, Heb. 11:6. Repenting of your sins, Acts 2:38; 17:30. Confessing that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, Mt. 10:32,33. Being Baptized in water for the remission of your past sins, Acts 2:;38; 22:16.
B. BROTHER AND SISTER IN CHRIST: can He depend upon you in the worship and services of the Lord in the church of the Lord? Acts 2:42.
1. To assemble with the saints at the appointed times set aside for studies and worship? Heb. 10:25.
2. To arrive on time and conduct yourself decently, orderly, and quietly in His presence?
3. To sing praises and not sit with your mouth closed?
4. To listen attentively to the prayer and give your amen?
5. To lead singing to the best of your ability when called upon to do so?
6. To lead congregational prayer so that others might be able to hear and understand and be able to say amen?
7. To make the announcements so that others might know what you have said?
8. To preach the word forcefully and humbly and with simplicity so that others might learn and understand?
9. To teach classes that people may be edified and builded up in the most holy faith?
10. To listen attentively and respectively to the preaching and teaching of the Word of God?
11. To partake of the Lord's Supper in reverence and respect with meditation, discerning the body of Christ?
12. To keep your children with you and keep the noise down to a minimum?
C. BROTHER OR SISTER IN CHRIST: can He depend upon you as an individual Christian in your everyday life to:
1. Be an influence for good, both in your work and in your play?
2. Bear fruit to His name's Honor and Glory?
3. Bring up you children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord?
4. Walk in the light as He is in the light?
5. Pray, study, meditate, visit the sick, relieve and comfort the needy?
D. PREACHER -- Can He depend upon you:
1. To preach the word in season and out of season, to reprove, rebuke and exhort with all longsuffering and teaching?
2. To live the gospel as well as preach it?
E. ELDERS: Can He depend upon you:
1. To feed the flock of God that is among you taking the oversight thereof?
2. To guide them and lead them on to those upper and better pastures?
3. To keep the congregation as pure as possible?
F. DEACONS: Can He depend upon you:
1. To be subject to the elders and carry out your assigned duties as deacons?
G. TEACHERS: Can He depend upon you;
1. To prepare yourself well for every class?
2. To show forth in your life, that which you teach in your class?
1. Can the Lord depend upon you today, whoever you are, to render obedience unto Him?
2. We trust that He can. And that you will do whatever you must in order to show Him that He can depend upon you.
3. Why not prove to Him right now that you are determined to show that God can depend upon you.
By Jim Sasser
Return to Jim Sasser's Outlines page
Return to the Sermon Outlines page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /