1. “Buy the Truth and Sell it not.”
2. The idea of "Buying and selling." common idea. Everyone buys and sells.
3. Some times people don't realize the value of that which they buy
or that which they pass up others don't realize the value of that
which they sell!.
In commenting on this passage, one writer said:
Truthfulness always has been the basis for the moral,
legal, and ethical codes of nations. He who possesses correct knowledge
has within him the potential to discern, and then act upon, truth.
Knowledge frees from the shackles of ignorance; truth frees
from the shackles of error. Indeed, knowledge and truth are
IDENTITY: WHAT IS TRUTH? It is the...
A. Word of God (Jn. 17:17) - - Where do we find God’s truth? Jn 16:12-13 ALL truth is given thru the apostles. Can’t find any truth that will help us to heaven except right here.
1. Jesus claimed that God's word is truth and it
sanctifies! It makes us holy. It makes us right with God.
2. David claimed that it is forever established in heaven
(Psa. 119:89). It cannot change . Jude 3
B. Gospel of Salvation (Eph. 1:13). Must listen, Must obey! Eph 4:15, 24
C. Power of God (Rom. 1:16-17).
That’s why false teachers are SO strongly condemned by God. They change the truth, and thus men are not saved. Rom 16:25-26
D. Consists of:
1. Facts to be believed (I Cor 15:1-4) Died for MY sins; buried and raised! These are important facts to believe. V. 14, 17
2. Commands to be obeyed. (2 Thess. 1:7 8) Heb 5:8-9
a. Believe (Heb. 11:6; Rom. 1:17; Jn. 20:30 31). Read Heb 11. Without faith, none of those men would have done what they did. There must be more than faith, we must follow thru.
b. Repent (Acts 17:30 31)
c. Confess ( Rom. 10:9 10). Not faith alone, must confess.
d. Be Baptized (Mk. 16:16; Acts 2:38)
3. Promises to be received
Forgiveness of sin (Acts 2:38)
Eternal life ( 1 Jn. 2:24-25; 2:3-5) To “know” him is to have fellowship with him.
4. Warnings to heed. I Cor 10:12; Heb 2:1-3
PURPOSE: WHY NEED TO BUY?
A. Because of what it will do for us.
1. Make free ( Jn. 8:32. Must abide. V.31; Jas. 1:18; walk by it v.21, 22, 25). Writing to believers
2. Important part of Christian's armor (Eph. 6:13-15, 17); Can’t make it without it. Must put it on daily!
3. Each will be judged by the truth. (Jn. 12:48; Rom. 2:16)
B. The idea of “buy” indicates a Cost factor! It is going to COST us!
1. Love more than family and friends(Matt 10:34-38) Must listen to the apostles. V.40
2. Love more than the world (1 Jn. 2:15 17)
3. Accept, act upon and abide in regardless of appeals to do
otherwise! 2 Jn 1-4, 6, 9
1. This man found it without much effort. Sees the value, gives up everything to buy it.
(Matt. 13:44). Any who desire the truth can possess it.
2. He bought it Some have to work harder, give
up more to obtain, but we MUST buy (Matt 10:39)
3. Young man. Though he wanted; seemed honest; but when he discovered
the cost, he went away sorrowful declining to pay! Did not buy it. Mk 10:17, 21-22
CHALLENGE: WHY SELL IT NOT?
A. Must hold on to till life is completed on earth to be saved
by it. (Mt. 24:42, 45, 46)
B. How one may sell it:
1. Fail to stand up for it
2. Back down in difficult times! Gal 2:11-13; 5:6-7
What is your situation regarding the truth? DO YOU...
A. Value the truth?
Ps 19:7 ¶ The law of the LORD is perfect, restoring the soul; The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; The commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether.
10 They are more desirable than gold, yes, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the drippings of the honeycomb.
11 Moreover, by them Thy servant is warned; In keeping them there is great reward.
B. Understand the truth? (Eph. 3:3-4; 5:17)
C. Obey the truth (1 Pet. 1:22-23) Can’t be purified if don’t obey
Conclusion: Some will not buy, considering the cost too
high! as young ruler!(Mk. 10:17 27)
1. Others have bought, but they sell it exchange for
something not so valuable but pleasurable (2 Tim. 4:3-4)
2. You if you know the truth will you obey it?(Rom.
3. If you have bought the truth paid the price in
obedience, will you hold on to it and NOT exchange it
for anything! Rev 2:10
BUY THE TRUTH
SELL IT NOT!
Don’t sell at any price.
“For what shall a man gain, if he lose his own soul.”
By Robert RaifHome / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /