• Things That Are An Abomination
• Inasmuch as some things are disgusting to God, we should certainly avoid
• When we read that something is an abomination to God, it is something
the Lord hates and despises.
• It does not matter that most of these are recorded in the Old Testament—they
are still wrong today.
• These are things the Lord will not tolerate.
• The following is a list of things which are an abomination to God.
• Leviticus 18:22
• "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination."
• (Compare Leviticus 20:13) “If there is a man who lies with a male
as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they
shall surely be put to death,. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them”.
• This is homosexuality.
• Leviticus 18:19-26
• “But as for you, you are to keep My statutes and My judgments, and
shall not do any of these abominations, neither the native, nor the alien who
sojourns among you”.
• In the passage we see immorality, adultery, sacrificing children to Molech,
homosexuality, and bestiality.
• Deuteronomy 18:10-12
• "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or
his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer
of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar
spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. For all that do these things are an abomination
unto the LORD.“
• Passing through the fire is the literal sacrifice of children in a sacrificial
• Divination is one who claims secret knowledge, especially of the future.
Sometimes it is translated witchcraft, and is used of false prophets.
• An observer of times is one who pretends to foretell the future. Sometimes
translated a soothsayer, or fortune-teller.
• An enchanter is like someone who observes serpents (all have seen the
flute player as he charms the snake).
• A witch is one who uses witchcraft, a sorcerer.
• A charmer is one who supposedly casts a spell.
• A consulter with familiar spirits is one who consults an oracle for information.
• A wizard is a wise man, perhaps one who claims to be wiser than he is,
and that he can do more than he really can.
• A necromancer is one who claims to consult, or inquire with the dead.
• II Kings 23:24
• "Moreover, Josiah removed the mediums and the spiritists and the
teraphim (the wizards), and the idols (images) and all the abominations that were
seen in the land of Judah and in Jerusalem, that he might confirm the words of
the law which were written in the book that Hilkiah the priest found in the House
of the LORD,"
• Deuteronomy 25:16
• “You shall not have in your bag differing weights, a large and a
small, You shall not have in your house differing measures, a large and a small.
You shall have a full and just weight; you shall have a full and just measure,
that your days may be prolonged in the land which the LORD your God gives you.
For all that do such things, and all that do unrighteously, are an abomination
unto the LORD thy God."
• (In this context the Lord is speaking of weighing and measuring fairly
and properly with weights and measures.)
• Deuteronomy 27:15
• "Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination
unto the LORD.“
• Speaking of things to be worshiped.
• This could also have reference to anything purchased for the purpose of
• Deuteronomy 20:18
• “in order that they may not teach you to do all their detestable
things which they have done for their gods, so that you would sin against the
LORD your God.
• This is talking about the worship and service to false gods.
• The children of Israel were commanded to wipe their enemies out.
• Of course they did not, and learned the ways of the Canaanites, and sinned
• Proverbs 6:16-19
• "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination
unto Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An
heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."
• Proverbs 3:32
• "For the crooked man is an abomination to the LORD, but He is intimate
with the upright. “
• This means perverse and/or devious.
• KJV uses the phrase “froward”
• Proverbs 15:9
• "The way of the wicked is an abomination unto the LORD: but he loveth
him that followeth after righteousness."
• This means the lifestyle a person chooses.
• Any lifestyle not serving the Lord is considered wickedness by God.
• Proverbs 16:5
• "Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD:"
• Pride is one of the worst sins an individual can be guilty of.
• Pride prevents acknowledging your own sins.
• Pride keeps you away from God.
• Proverbs 17:15
• "He that justifieth the wicked, and he that condemneth the just,
even they both are an abomination to the LORD."
• Is this not what our world has become?
• Sin is glorified
• Righteousness is not to be tolerated.
• Proverbs 24:9
• "The thought of foolishness is sin: and the scorner is an abomination
• This is speaking of mocking and scoffing at others.
• It is one of the few times in scripture where men are to view something
as an abomination.
• Of course, everything the Lord sees as an abomination, we should also.
• Proverbs 28:9
• "He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer
shall be an abomination.“
• This is the person who refuses to learn what God teaches.
• So even if he/she prays, the prayer will be rejected by God.
• This is why they said in the New Testament that we know God does not hear
the prayer of sinners. (1 Peter 3:12; John 9:31)
• Ezekiel 18:12,13
• "Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath
not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed
abomination, Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: shall he then
live? He shall not live: he hath done all these abominations; he shall surely
die; his blood shall be upon him."
• Portrait of the wicked.
• Ezekiel 22:11
• "And one hath committed abomination with his neighbour’s wife;
and another hath lewdly defiled his daughter in law; and another in thee had humbled
his sister, his father’s daughter.“
• This is speaking of sexual sins that the children of Israel were guilty
• Malachi 2:11
• "Judah hath dealt treacherously, and an abomination is committed
in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah hath profaned the holiness of the LORD which
he loved, and hath married the daughter of a strange god.“
• A reference to the idolatry the people were committing against the Lord.
• Luke 16:15
• "And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before
men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteem among men is
abomination in the sight of God."
• Yes, mankind looks at things differently.
• What is approved by man is usually rejected by God.
• Revelation 21:27
• "And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth,
neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written
in the Lamb’s book of life."
• No person who does an action considered an abomination will enter Heaven.
• Only the names of the righteous are written in the Lamb’s book of
• We even consider most of these things as detestable and abominable.
• We must not do them.
• If we do, we are wrong and subject to the punishment of God.
• Have you removed your abominations from yourself?
By Carey Scott from a list I found on the internet.
Return to the Sermon
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me