Hell's not a popular subject. In fact, we expect some to criticize us for writing about it. However, did you know that the word "hell" occurs 13 times in the New Testament and one Bible preacher is responsible for using the word 11 of those times? The preacher's name is Jesus! Let's examine for a moment some who will make up the population of hell.
1) The Devil and His Angels. The Bible says, "The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone" (Rev. 20:10). It only seems appropriate that such should be Satan's fate for, "He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him" (Jn. 8:44). But, Satan will have company...some of us! The Bible says that Jesus will say to many folks on the day of judgment, "Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels" (Mt. 25:41). Will you hear those terrifying words?
2) People Satisfying the Lusts of the Flesh. In Galatians 5:19-21 Paul said that folks satisfying the lusts of the flesh "will not inherit the kingdom of God". If you live to satisfy these lusts you need to come to the realization that you are an enemy of God! (Jas. 4:4) Surely no sane person would want to be God's enemy!
3) People Not in the Lord's Body. Did you know the Lord "is the Savior of the body" (Eph. 5:23) and that His body is "the church"? (Col. 1:18) Furthermore, Jesus built only one church (Mt. 16:18; Eph. 4;4). He did not build the multitude of denominational churches! Thus, He said, "Every plant which My heavenly Father has not planted will be uprooted" (Mt. 15:13). Where are you going to be on "rootin" day? In Christ's church or some denominational church? If you're in the former plan on being saved, if you're in the latter plan on being "uprooted"!
4) Religious People. You may be surprised to find that many religious people will reside in hell. Jesus said, "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'" (Mt. 7:21-23) Don't count on your religion to save you! Reject creeds and catechisms and do God's will!
5) Good Moral People. Did you know the Bible talks of a good moral man that was lost? Cornelius is described as "a devout man and one who feared God with all his household, who gave alms generously to the people, and prayed to God always" (Acts 10:2). Yet, Peter was sent to tell him "words by which you [Cornelius] and all your household will be saved" (Acts 11:14). You see, regardless of our morality, "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God" (Rom 3:23). All are in need of the forgiveness of sins that Christ alone can provide (Acts 4:12). That includes you and me!
6) Lukewarm Church Members. We rightly speak of "restoring the New Testament church". Most often when this is discussed we are referring to the scriptural name, work, worship, and organization of the church, along with the scriptural plan of salvation necessary to make one a true Christian. But, each of us as members of His body must also restore the attitudes and behaviors seen in faithful first century saints! Many are lukewarm in attendance, worship, giving, studying, teaching, praying, involvement in the local work, etc. Unless you repent and become "ready for every good work" (Titus 3:1) the Lord said He will "vomit you out of My mouth" (Rev. 3:16). Let us take heed and get to work!
What about you? Where will you spend eternity? Heaven or hell? You're making the choice right now!
Return to the General Articles page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /