City, State, Zip)
CITY, STATE, ZIP____________________________
(KING JAMES VERSION USED IN PREPARING THESE LESSONS)
LESSON TWELVE -- “THE HOPE OF THE CHRISTIAN”
Those of us who have accepted the Bible as the Word of God, and who have submitted to the authority of Christ by believing in Him, repenting of sins, confessing Him before men, and being baptized for the remission of sins, are now Christians, members of the Lord's church, citizens of the kingdom of God. We have blessings and joys which the world cannot give. One of those blessings is the hope that this life is only the beginning of our joy. Indeed, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable” -- so said the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 15:19. If you are a Christian, may this study encourage you. If you are not a Christian, may the study create within you a desire to gain THIS HOPE while you still have time.
1. THOSE WHO ARE OUT OF CHRIST HAVE NO HOPE:
A. EITHER in life -- Ephesians 2:12, “That at that time ye were _______________________ Christ . . . having _________ _______________ , and without God in the _______________ .”
B. OR in death -- 1 Thessalonians 4:13, “That ye ______________________ not, even as ___________________ which have ________ _____________ .”
2. THOSE WHO ARE IN CHRIST HAVE HOPE:
A. BOTH in life -- Romans 12:12, “Rejoicing __________ __________________ .”
B. AND in death -- Proverbs 14:32, “The __________________________ hath _____________ in his _____________________ .”
3. WITHOUT THE GOSPEL THERE IS NO HOPE -- Colossians 1:23, “If ye _________________ in the __________________ grounded and_____________________ , and be not _____________ away from the ______________ of the _________________________ .”
4. WE HAVE HOPE FOR A RESURRECTION -- Acts 24:15, “And have ______________ toward _________ which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a __________________________ of the ______________ , both of the ______________ and ___________________ .”
5. OUR HOPE TURNS OUR THOUGHTS TOWARD HEAVEN:
A. Colossians 1:5, “For the ______________ which is laid up for you in __________________ .”
B. 1 Peter 1:3-4, God “hath _____________________ us again unto a _____________________ _______________ by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, ________ _________ inheritance incorruptible, and __________________________ , and that __________________ not ______________ , resereved in ____________________ for ____________ .”
6. HOPE IS FOR THE FAITHFUL ONLY -- Hebrews 6:11, “And we desire that _______________ one of ____________ do show the same ________________________ to the __________________ assurance of _________________ unto the ______________ .”
7. AS THE ONE WHO GIVES US HOPE IS PURE, SO MUST WE BE PURE - 1 John 3:3, “And every _____________ that hath this ______________ in him ________________________ himself _______________ as _________ is _________________ .”
8. THOSE WHO ARE NOT FAITHFUL WILL LOSE THE HOPE - John 15:6, “If a ____________ abide ___________ in ________ he is __________________ forth as a ____________________ , and is _____________________ ; and men gather __________________ , and ________________ them into the _______________ , and ________________ are ____________________ .”
9. THOSE WHO ONCE OBEYED, BUT LATER BECAME UNFAITHFUL, NOW NEED TO:
A. Acts 8:22, “ ____________________ ” and “_________________ ” in order to be forgiven.
B. 1John 1:9 says if we “ __________________ ” our sins, God will ___________________-us.
-- TRUE OR FALSE (CIRCLE ONE) --
True / False 1. The Christian is the only one who has hope for eternal glory.
True / False 2. Our hope is for a reign with Christ on earth (see Colossians 1:5).
True / False 3. Every one professing to be a Christian has hope, whether he/she is pure or not.
True / False 4. One who is saved, and then becomes unfaithful and remains so, will be lost.
True / False 5. Once unfaithful, there is nothing one can do to be restored.
THANKS for studying with us! We hope these lessons have been helpful to you, and that you are now determined to be a true and faithful servant of God, as a member of His church. We have tried to make the lessons simple and plain, so you would not miss the instruction God has given.
If you are a Christian, may your
life be enriched, and may you continue to grow in grace and knowledge (2 Peter
3:18). If you are not a Christian, remember that NOW is the only time you can
be sure of (Christ may come at any moment, or you may die at any moment).
Being aware that some people who study these lessons are not members of the church of the Lord, we wish to make it convenient for you to advise us of any desire you have in which we may be of assistance. The Word of God, the Gospel, is the only power we wish to use, therefore we have not exerted any human pressure on you, and we will not do so. However, we would like to know your reaction to God's truth, and will appreciate your checking any of the following statements which might apply in your case:
( ) “I now know truth, and wish to be saved from my past sins and become a member of the true church by being baptized into Christ for the remission of my sins.”
( ) “I desire further instruction, and would appreciate having a Bible teacher come into my home for a series of lessons.” (We have lessons prepared for such a study.)
( ) “I would like to receive tracts, or other Bible study helps.” (If you want information on a particular subject, let us know your request -- We will provide it if we can.)
Return to the index page.
Home / Bible
studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me