City, State, Zip
(KING JAMES VERSION USED IN PREPARING THESE LESSONS)
LESSON EIGHT -- “B A P T I S M”
In previous lessons we have studied about FAITH which changes the MIND or affections; about REPENTANCE which changes the CONDUCT; and about CONFESSION which changes the ALLEGIANCE. This lesson concerns BAPTISM which changes the RELATIONSHIP. That is to say that baptism translates us from without to within Christ. Galatians 3:27 says, “For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. ”
Let us turn from all private opinions and human doctrines about baptism, approach the subject with an open mind, and let the Bible guide us into Truth. Please study these facts:
1. Baptism is a vital part of the teaching of Christ, and is the only act in the Word of God which is to be performed in the Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit:
Matthew 28:18-20, “And __________________ came and spake unto them, saying, __________ power is given unto me in ____________________ and in ________________ Go __________ therefore, and ___________________ all nations, ____________________________ them in the ______________ of the __________________ , and of the __________ , and of the ___________ _________________ : Teaching them to _____________________ all _________________ what-soever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway . . . ”
2. Jesus taught that baptism is a part of the plan of salvation:
Mark 16:15-16, “And He said unto them, __________ ye into all the ___________________ and preach the ______________________ to every _________________________ . He that believeth and is _________________________ shall be ____________________ ; but he that believeth not shall be _________________________ .”
In Lesson Five we learned that IT TAKES ALL OF GOD'S PLAN FOR US TO BE SAVED.
A false doctrine which will destroy souls is one which teaches that a person can be saved by doing only a part of what God requires. Do not be misled -- THE BIBLE IS RIGHT. It tells us in Luke 7:29-30 about some people who would not be baptized, and it says they rejected the counsel of God against themselves. Let us not likewise be guilty. The two passages above show that baptism has the endorsement of Heaven; May we be further impressed with this truth as we examine the following passages:
1. Acts 2:38, “Then Peter said unto them, __________________ , and be ______________________ every one of you in the _________________ of Jesus Christ for the ________________________ of ________________ , and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.”
2. Acts 8:12, “But when they ____________________________ Philip preaching the things concerning the __________________________ of God, and the _________________ of Jesus Christ, they were __________________________ , both _______________ and ___________________ .”
3. Acts 22:16, “And ____________ why tarriest thou? arise, and be _________________________ and ______________ away thy _____________ , calling on the name of the _______________ .”
WHAT BAPTISM REQUIRES:
________________ ---------------- Acts 10:47
____________ water --------------- John 3:23
Coming to _____________ -------- Acts 8:36
Going ___________ into water --- Acts 8:38
______________in water ------- Romans 6:4
________________of water ------- Eph. 5:26
_______________with Him ---- Romans 6:5
Coming up _________ of water -- Acts 8:39
WHAT BAPTISM IS FOR:
In the _____________ ------- Matthew 28:19
To be ______________ ---------- Mark 16:16
Remission of __________ --------- Acts 2:38
Causes one to _____________ -- Acts 8:39
Wash ____________ sins -------- Acts 22:16
Into _______________ ------- Galatians 3:27
Brings new ___________ ------- Romans 6:4
________________ us ---------- 1 Peter 3:21
-- TRUE OR FALSE --
True / False 1. We can select ANY ONE command (faith, repentance, confession, or baptism), and be saved by it ALONE.
True / False 2. Baptism is a command given by man.
True / False 3. One can be related to the Godhead without baptism (Matthew 28:19).
True / False 4. Belief comes before baptism (Mark 16:15-16; Acts 8:36-39).
True / False 5. Baptism comes before salvation (Mark 16:15-16; Acts 2:38; 22:16).
True / False 6. We get into Christ the instant we believe (Galatians 3:27).
True / False 7. Baptism can be performed by sprinkling (Romans 6:4; Colossians 2:12),
True / False 8. Baptism is essential to salvation (1 Peter 3:21).
MULTIPLE CHOICE (UNDERLINE THE CORRECT ANSWER)
1. In Mark 16:16 the Son of God said: (a) "He that believeth is saved" (b) "He that believeth AND is baptized shall be saved" (c) "Anyone who is baptized shall be saved:'
2. After reading Romans 6:3-4 and Colossians 2:12, we must conclude: (a) That baptism is immersion only (b) Baptism can be done by sprinkling (c) It doesn't matter anyway.
3. According to Ephesians 4:5, (a) There are as manv baptisms as there are human opinions (b) Baptism is non-essential (c) There is only one baptism.
4. The popular opinion is that baptism has nothing to do with our salvation. In 1 Peter 3:21, (a) The apostle Peter shared this opinion (b) Peter said baptism saves us (c) He said one who is saved may be baptized if he so desires.
5. Many people do not believe what the Bible says about baptism. Read Romans 10:17;
2 Corinthians 5:7; and John 12:48, and decide if WE ought to: (a) Try to be neutral and not take a stand (b) Go along with the majority in order to be popular (c) Agree with the Bible and stand for the truth regardless of the consequences.
6. When one believes, repents, confesses Christ, and is baptized, that one is: (a) Saved by himself / herself (b) Saved by water (c) Saved by EVERYTHING in God's plan for us.
Your Comments And Questions Are Appreciated. Lesson NINE is “THE BODY OF CHRIST.”
Return to the index page
Home / Bible studies / Bible Survey / Special Studies / General Articles / Non-Bible Articles / Sermons / Sermon Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence Courses / What is the Church of Christ / Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me /