City, State, Zip)
CITY, STATE, Zip____________________________
(KING JAMES VERSION USED IN PREPARING THESE LESSONS)
LESSON FIVE – “FAITH”
The Bible says FAITH comes by hearing
the Word of God (Romans 10:17). Faith, then, is neither an emotional feeling
nor a miraculous gift, but it is a state of mind -- that state of mind of being
assured and convicted that God's Word is true. Faith is in the realm of those
things we cannot know by our physical senses. However, we are not left without
a guide. Our guide is God's Revelation. Our faith (assurance, conviction) is
based on the evidence presented in His Revelation. Thus we cannot have saving
faith without Bible knowledqe.
In the New Testament all Christians had a COMMON FAITH (see 2 Peter 1:1 and Jude 3). Indeed, there is ONLY ONE FAITH (see Ephesians 4:5). Therefore, people do not have the right to select just ANY faith (one of "our choice"), but we must accept THE FAITH Christ died to establish, and which is revealed in the New Testament.
1. Romans 10:17, "So then ____________________ cometh by _________________________, and hearing by the __________________ of God.” (Paul said in 1 Timothy 4:1 that the Holy Spirit SPEAKS. He SPOKE the Word of God through the apostles - John 16:13. So our faith
is not the product of some mysterious, unexplainable working of the Spirit in a direct operation upon us -- Rather, it is the product of hearinq the Word of God, which is the Word spoken by the Spirit. THIS IS HOW THE SPIRIT PRODUCES FAITH.
2. Hebrews 11:6, "But without ___________________ it is impossible to please ______________.”
3. 2 Corinthians 5:7, "For we walk by __________________ , not by ___________________.”
4. Mark 16:16, "He that __________________________ and is ________________________ shall
be __________________ ; but he that believeth _____________ shall be ___________________ .”
5. James 2:24, "Ye see then how that by ________________ a man is _______________________ ,
and not by _________________ ________________ .”
6. Galatians 5:6, "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but ____________________ which _________________________ by _______________ .”'
FAITH MUST BE DEMONSTRATED BY OBEDIENCE -- HEBREWS, CHAPTER ELEVEN:
1. Verse 4, “By FAITH Abel __________________________ unto God a more excellent sacrifice.”
2. Verse 7, “By FAITH Noah _________________ with fear, ________________________ an ark.”
3. Verse 8, When Abraham was called -- “By FAITH” he __________________ .
4. Verse 17, When Abraham was tested -- “By FAITH” he __________________ up Isaac.
5. Verse 27, “By FAITH” Moses ___________________________ Egypt.
6. Verse 29, “By FAITH” the Israelites _______________________ through the Red Sea.
7. Verse 30, “By FAITH the walls of Jericho ________________ down, _________________ they were compassed about seven days.” (ACTIVE faith is essential to pleasing God)
CIRCLE TRUE OR FALSE
True / False 1. It is possible to believe, and still not be saved - James 2:19; John 12:42-44.
True / False 2. Faith is produced by hearing (or reading) evidence - John 20:31.
True / False 3. Faith only, without obedience, will save us - James 2:24.
MULTIPLE CHOICE -- UNDERLINE THE CORRECT ANSWER
1. Our faith must rest upon: (a) The creeds of denominationalism; (b) The proclamation of men; (c) Our feelings; (d) The Word of God alone.
2. The church which stands for truth is guided in teaching and practice by: (a) Traditions of the past; (b) The oracles of God - 1 Peter 4:11; (c) A set of laws written by men; (d) The wishes and likes of the majority of the members.
3. When God's Word tells us to hear Christ (Matthew 17:5), believe in Him as the Messiah (John 8:24), repent of sins (Luke 13:3), confess Jesus Christ as God's Son (Matthew 10:32; Acts 8:37), and be baptized for remission of sins (Acts 2:38) -- We are to: (a) Make a choice as to whether this suits us or not; (b) Obey with assurance and conviction (faith) that this is the only way to be saved; (c) Reject this if it is different from what we have previously been taught; (d) Decide we cannot understand the Bible anyway and it makes no difference what one believes.
IT TAKES ALL OF GOD'S PLAN FOR US TO BE SAVED!
Some say we are saved by faith only; some say by grace only; some say by baptism only; etc., etc. But the Bible teaches we are saved by EVERYTHING which God included in His plan of salvation. Fill in the following blanks and see that if ANY ONE of these things is left out we cannot be saved -- nor can we be saved by ANY ONE OF THEM ALONE.
A. ___________ is our Savior 1 Timothy 4:10
B. _________________saves us Matthew 1:21
C. Justified by His _________________ Romans 5:9
D. Saved by the ____________________ 1 Corinthians 15:1-2
E. Saved by _________________ Ephesians 2:5
F. Justified by _________________ Romans 5:1
G. Justified by _________________ James 2:24
H. Saved by _________________ Romans 8:24
I. Saved by _______________________ 1 Peter 3:21
J. We save __________________________ in obedience Acts 2:40
PLEASE CONCENTRATE ON HEBREWS 11:1 Compare the American Standard Version: "Now faith is assurance of things hoped for, a conviction of things not seen:'
Be sure to ask for help on any phase of the study you do not understand.
LESSON 6 will be "REPENTANCE”
(return the lesson and please ask any questions you might have for us)
Return to the index page
/ Bible studies / Bible
Survey / Special Studies / General
Articles / Non-Bible Articles /
Sermons / Sermon
Outlines / Links / Questions and Answers / What Saith
The Scriptures /Daily Devotional / Correspondence
Courses / What is the Church of Christ /
Book: Christian Growth / Website Policy / E-mail / About Me